Windows and doors are an important part of your home – they provide gorgeous views, let in sunlight and warmth, and are an ideal way to enjoy a warm summer breeze. However, windows do even more. Windows and doors can also help save lives.
Windows and doors serve as escape or rescue points from your home in the case of an emergency. While they can potentially be life-saving aspects of your home, there are some important safety tips you should consider to make sure your windows and doors remain safe.
- Consider planting shrubs and using soft edging like wood chips under windows when landscaping. These could break a fall if you need to use the windows to escape a house fire.
- Close and lock windows and doors in houses with small children.
- If you need ventilation, open a window that children can’t reach. For example, opening the top sash of double hung windows can be a safer way to enjoy a summer breeze.
- Position beds and furniture away from windows. This will make it more difficult for a child to climb through a window and will keep the windows free in case you need to escape through one.
- Keep window and door treatments such as blinds, cords and drapes out of children’s reach as these could potentially be dangerous.
- Don’t paint, nail or weatherstrip windows shut. You need to be able to open windows in case of an emergency.
In addition to window and door safety, you should also follow a few general safety rules. As a family, develop a family escape plan and practice it in the case of an emergency, such as a fire. Be sure to check your smoke detectors regularly and consider adding a carbon monoxide detector to help keep you and your family safe.
At Renewal by Andersen, we believe that companies that make products for the home should also help increase safety awareness in the home. For more information on general home safety, fire safety and security tips contact your local building code, fire and police departments. For more home safety tips and information, visit the National Safety Council. Enjoy your windows and doors safely!